Friday, December 19, 2008

The Old Man Of Kinnigoli

So.
I have been busy, and now I am busy on a holiday.
It has been long - I‘ve got stories to tell, people I’ve met and pictures to share.
And I am sorry about being a bad boy – not replying to comments and such.
Promise to be better now. I’m hoping for the new year to be a lot better than the one gone by – the perpetual optimist that I am.

Old man of Kinnigoli
Kinnigoli was not a planned stop. Because Kinnigoli was not on the road to Kundapur. It was hard work – It looked as if the bus driver wasn’t particularly concerned about the people on the seat at the rear end, and when we finally got out, the sun seemed to be awfully pissed off at something. I just wasn’t getting it right, and the shoot stretched on until sometime after dark.

And that is how we decided to spend the night at Roger’s farm. After such grueling labor, we certainly deserved to have some fun!
And fun it was – I dont know why, somehow beer always is. And then there was toddy for breakfast, feeding the dogs and the sheep after, the chicken, and then beer again.

We were at breakfast at this village eatery when I spotted this man. Alone for his tea and mid-morning snack, possibly a routine for the whole of his long life. I say this because I am a village boy – usually in our villages, everything is routine.
I love this life!

9 comments:

Maddy said...

great photograph, very evocative - For a while I sat, thinking through the old man's eyes... and imagined a world of his own...really!!

heh? ok said...

you're back! and this evokes memories of narayan's Talkative Man, although he's sitting so quietly.

ToOothlEss WOndeR! said...

Maddy: Thank you. It is surprisingly heart-warming to see that at least a few people that still have "worlds of their own". Worlds where you know everyone, everyone's parents, and their great grand children too.

heh? : yes I am, literally : from being someone else. :)
The dogs say they like this oen better. :)

Anonymous said...

a beedi between his bony fingers is missing from the morning routine.. I once had gone to a village outside Pune and this chic in that gang called one such old man "Uncle".. For some reason this pic reminded me of that scene there.. Imagining her calling this one 'uncle' and yeah his obvious reactions...

The shoulders are blurred. I feel you could have clicked this better..

" Chora veena mannil ninnuyarnnu vanna poomaram, chetanayil nooru norru pookkalayi pozhikhave, orkkuvin sakhakkale nammal vanna veedhiyil, aayirangal chorakonezhudivecha vaakkukal"

Laal salaam... thats for the red wall behind :D

Adorable Pancreas said...

He looks like the patients at our hospital.

Adorable Pancreas said...

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

i am glad to see you back, you old man of Lensational :)

missed ya around! have great holidays and continue to post and share (plz!) :)

ToOothlEss WOndeR! said...

Lash: Dude, I've been interacting with some people on somethings you will absolutely not believe! will tell you on the phone.

Ap: Merry Christmas it is!! :) Thank you.

Moi: Here to stay, here to stay.. There are such wonderful women here.. here to stay! :)

Paradox Philic said...

You can so very clearly read the tiredness (in a no-willingness-to-fight-but-not-ready-to-give-it-up-just-yet way!) in the old man's eyes...

Very nice capture, indeed!